Saturday, September 6, 2008

Wicked Good Lobstah!

Group shot!


The whale's tail breaching.


Our house is the blue one on the left with the dock full of kayaks.


Dad and Kate taking a break from kayaking.


Jeff and I enjoying the tandem kayak : )

What a wonderful time we had in Maine!!! So relaxing and fun – we didn’t want to leave! The first night we got there we stayed in Portsmouth, NH since we didn’t get our house until Sun. Portsmouth is a neat old town that was settled in 1630 so lots of old buildings and such to see. But my favorite thing was the fried clams – yum! Then we went to Stonington on Sun. and got settled into our house. Stonington is the second largest lobster port in Maine so we would go down to the local lobster co-op and get fresh lobster, mussels, clams, etc. (Lobster was only $6 per pound – crazy cheap!) Actually a lot of our trip revolved around food : ) It seemed we were always talking about what to have for lunch or what to cook for supper. But when you’re staying in one of the biggest lobster fishing towns plus other seafood and blueberries are in season and you have a professional chef (my sister Katie) to cook you all sorts of great stuff – we couldn’t help ourselves!!

Stonington is a town of about 1,000 people with hardly any tourists so we got to know some of the locals and really enjoyed being away from the mobs of tourists and such. While in Stonington we also took a ride on a lobster boat to see how they put out traps and what not and also got to see some of the scenery. Then we went kayaking a few times as well. Stonington is located in a bay so the water was really calm which I was happy for as a first time kayaker. I thought I did pretty well but Jeff didn’t have much fun when we took out the tandem kayak. According to him it was more work than when he went by himself – I couldn’t help it if everyone was asking me to take pictures instead of paddling!!! It was also nice to just hang out with the family! We had a cribbage tournament while we were out there and Matt took the title over Dad. We also went to Bar Harbor twice and saw Acadia National Park, went on a sail boat ride and went on a whale watching tour. During the whale tour, we got to see a couple of whales. None came jumping out of the water but they surfaced and breached so got to see their tails a couple of times. Another little town we visited was Castine which has a lot of historical importance with many battles taking place there and a sail boat race was going on at the same time so neat to see.

Overall we had such a wonderful time – truly a trip we will never forget!!!

4 comments:

Anna Leigh said...

Yay! I'm so glad you put up some pics! I've been stalking your blog waiting for them! So glad you guys had a great time!

littlefamily said...

Looks like a great family vacation!! Hard to come back home I am sure!

Anonymous said...

Great to see the photos!! I'd never heard of a tandem kayak!Tell Jeff to stop complaining about taking you along in it!! I'm sure it was because you were the official photographer! Sounds like a wonderful trip!!

Kayren said...

I've been checking your blog waiting for photos, too!! WOW! looks like an amazing trip!! i can tell how much fun you guys had!!! I totally want to go to Maine now!